Programming knowledge: If programming languages were not there, we had to program computers using the machine code (native code). Machine code is nothing but a series of binary digits, which informs the processor about the instructions to be executed. These languages make programming effortless.
- There are many languages to serve different purposes, but you must know at least a few of those languages to build a good a website. You can select any language that you are comfortable with according to the web development standards, universal use, the trends, recommendations, etc.
- For instance, HTML is a standard language which can be used to format the contents on a web page. HTML includes titles, headings, links and text. It is the most common language used in web development.
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is a language united with HTML. CSS allows a programmer to set the style of a webpage (like layout, colours and fonts). These elements are kept discrete from the code of main webpage.
- There are many other languages such as Perl, PHP, ASP.Net, Ruby, Python and more. Choose the one which suits your requirement.
Testing: Testing is a critical part of web development process. So, a developer must also have testing knowledge to a certain extent. In prior to the delivery of final product (i.e. website), you must be sure that everything is done properly. That is, checking for browser compatibility, links, navigation menu algorithm, page loading speed, etc.
Basic design knowledge: If developers possess a little knowledge on design techniques, they will be able to understand the requirements and explore better designs. Designers and developers will be usually working on the same project, but on different points of it. The outcome will be great when they coordinate and share knowledge with each other.
As the popularity of responsiveness is rising day-to-day, it’s good for developers to have a brief knowledge on responsive design. This helps them in attaining a better level of professionalism.
SEO: Search engine optimization is more concerned to a marketer or an SEO specialist than the developer. But still, they cannot neglect the strategies and techniques of SEO. The main factor to be considered on SEO is the speed. Usually, developers deal with such factors the most, so they need to understand the pivotal importance of webpage speed. This particularly depends on the programming languages used.
Understanding security risks: Security skills are so imperative for creating a website. As a developer, you must be ready for any security attacks and must provide an efficient solution for it.
Major attacks are:
- SQL injection: It’s an attack of data-driven software, when any malicious SQL statements are placed into the input forms or fields.
- Cross-site scripting: This attack usually occurs if any hacker uses a spiteful script to affect an innocent web page.
- Error message: This could be a fount of information for hackers. Make sure that you don’t disclose any important information in such messages.
Image resizing: In most of the cases, developers normally depend on designers for working on images. But, it could be very helpful if developer has a basic knowledge of Photoshop and other programs. So that, he could at least manage with resizing or cropping an image, customizing the colours and applying some effects.